Article: 'Dugeun Dugeun India' Minho, "Fought with Suho several times, we were close but grew apart"
Source: Newsen via Nate
Minho to Suho, "Do you know that I'm really sorry to you, hyung? We used to be really close, remember? But we've grown apart, haven't we."
Solo interview: "I fought with him several times. Thinking about it now, I think it was my fault. I'm the same age as Suho hyung but hyung started school earlier than me. I used to call him hyung in the past but after I debuted, I felt like the age hierarchy was all jumbled up so I asked Suho hyung if we could just be friends (drop the honorifics). I thought it would be more comfortable for us but I think I hurt his pride. I really just wanted to help hyung but I think it made us grow further apart and I hated it. Hyung hadn't debuted at the time when I asked (if we could be friends), and I think that was my fault."
(usually those born in January~March/April-ish are considered 'early born' and can be friends with people born in the previous year and are usually considered older than people born later in the same year because it also means they are a semester older in school.. CONFUSING AF IK but you would still call a sophomore your hyung when you're a freshman even though you're the same age. Suho was born in May, Minho in December... technically Suho is not an 'early born' but he somehow got into school a semester earlier than Minho making him his hyung WHILE IN SCHOOL.. but outside of school, it stopped making sense for Minho to continue calling Suho hyung because their birth months don't reflect it anymore.. hence the confusion and Minho wanting to simplify it.)
1. [+454, -47] All this age hierarchy is the problem... if you're not in school anymore, that stuff should be dropped.
2. [+430, -28] I was curious so I looked it up. Suho was born in May '91 and Minho was born in December '91... so I honestly don't understand why Minho needs to call Suho hyung. Does Suho demand all of the people born in '91 to call him hyung too?
3. [+403, -24] Not a big deal but... maybe Suho entered school faster? Or not? But either way, they're both '91ers so they should be able to drop the honorifics. I understand Minho.. they're the same age, why should he call him hyung?
4. [+58, -2] Minho just wanted to simplify their relationship for their debut because it's weird that they're both '91 but he calls him hyung... I think the issue goes deeper with Suho more than just age because they probably grew apart with Minho debuting first since naturally it creates a barrier since Suho hadn't debuted yet.
5. [+56, -13] Suho kind of seems like he has a lot of pride for no reason
6. [+54, -1] I remember a fan who asked if she should call him oppa or Suho since she was a '91 too and he asked her to call him oppa... I think Suho's the one breaking all of the age relationships. SHINee's Key was born in September '91 but calls Suho by his name while SNSD's Seohyun was born in June '91 but calls him oppa... and Minho was born in December '91 but calls him hyung...
7. [+50, -5] I hate it when people who are just a few months older than you try to act like your hyung or nuna. They're always the one messing up the hyung nuna relationships in a group.
8. [+46, -3] Then why doesn't Suho call Xiumin hyung when Xiumin was born in March '90? He just calls him by his name and speaks informally... meanwhile Lay, who was born in October '91, calls Suho hyung ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ What in the world is going on with their age relationship ㅋㅋㅋ
9. [+40, -3] Suho, you're hopeless. You're both born in '91, why should he call you hyung?
10. [+36, -2] Suho should've been grateful that Minho suggested they drop the honorifics since they're both the same age but Minho debuted first, making him his senior.
11. [+29, -3] I thought it was just the EXO fangirls who were screwed in the head but the members are screwed too. Why in the world would a December born '91 call a May born '91 hyung?
1. [+3,968, -167] They're both so handsome
2. [+3,629, -91] They seem like they're close, considering they studied overseas together and trained for a long time. Keep up your great friendship!
3. [+3,186, -106] Minho and Suho seem to look out for each other
4. [+2,476, -74] So great to see their friendship
5. [+531, -27] I think Suho got his pride hurt because he was used to Minho calling him hyung but then he debuted and wanted to just be friends... Sure it'd be fine to drop the honorifics if they both debuted and did well but I'm sure Suho was hurt having someone who called him hyung suddenly want to stop just because he debuted. Maybe Suho has his own story too... we should try to be more understanding. Minho's still cool for continuing to call him hyung out of respect! ^^
6. [+538, -142] But Suho is seriously screwing up the age relationships... He's not even considered an 'early 91' since he was born in May. With his logic, he'd have to call someone born in March hyung too which doesn't make sense. He clearly cares too much about his pride..
7. [+417, -42] Suho's not even an early '91 ㅋㅋㅋ Suho was born in May and Minho was born in December ㅋㅋㅋ
8. [+390, -20] I can understand why Suho would get his pride hurt when he was still training and Minho got to debut but wanted to stop calling him hyung now. As for Minho, he just wanted to simplify their relationship since it is pretty complicated.
9. [+391, -37] Xiumin's the real saint here for putting up with Suho
10. [+303, -8] If you think about it, there are a lot of idols who have their age relationships all wrong ㅋ ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Suho, Woohyun, DO, Kai ㅋㅋㅋ As the saying goes, put INFINITE, EXO, and SHINee in the same room and you end up with Sunggyu and Sehun speaking informally to each other ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ